Does your dog enjoy a grape or two when walking through the vineyard?
Here in the P-O, we live amongst the vines but some grapes and raisins are believed to have a high toxicity for dogs, and can cause kidney failure. This applies to grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas
The most common early symptom of grape or raisin toxicity is vomiting, usually within a couple of hours after ingestion.
if you know your dog has eaten grapes, and is looking off colour, you should try to induce vomiting to get rid of the toxins, or visit a vet, who will probably do exactly that.
Other symptoms to watch out for are loss of appetite, lethargy, and dehydration (test by gently pulling up on the skin of the dog’s neck. It should spring back immediately.)
Research isn’t clear but it is possible that a mycotoxin (a toxic substance produced by a fungus or mould) may be the cause.