This book is written by  Bruce’s nephew in memory of Bruce and of my father and his family who lost their beloved Bruce and grieved for him for the rest of their lives But it is also written to honour the millions who struggled and gave their lives for our safety.
Peter Dowding

Available to pre-order on Amazon now or from 28th August

by Peter Dowding


My Uncle Bruce Dowding was a lieutenant to Garrow and Guerisse in Marseilles in 1940-41 . He was an Australian who spoke good French as he had lived in France prior to the war as a student and as a teacher. He was betrayed by a man calling himself Paul Cole, and with the others in Pas de Calais who were also betrayed, he was executed in Dortmund 30 June 1943.

I am currently in the process of writing his biography.

Peter Dowding in Fremantle WA and his wife Benita

Following the collapse of the Allied Armies in front of the German onslaught, thousands of Allied Servicemen, lost and afraid, were trying to escape from France. Their numbers were swelled by escapees from POW camps and air crew who had been shot down. These thousands swirled around in the crowds of displaced refugees. Over the war years, many loyal French men and women gave these people shelter and assistance.

The man calling himself Paul Cole, who let it be known that he was Capt. Paul of British Intelligence, had become part of the Organisation that had provided escorts for many of these servicemen from the Forbidden Zone, in the North, across the Somme into Occupied France, through Paris to the border of the Unoccupied Zone which ran along the Cher and the Loire rivers where they crossed to the relative safety of Vichy France and could make their way to Marseilles.

Rue de Forbin- All thats left of the Seamans Mission building in Marseilles

From there the “Organisation” had routes to move them to freedom across the Spanish Border to Gibraltar and beyond. Cole himself and with the assistance of others including a young man Roland Lepers, had escorted some of these evaders, and Cole had taken a key role in organising accommodation and assistance for them as they hid from capture.

Capt. Paul Cole had had three dark secrets.

The first was his name and rank- he was Harold not Paul, and he was a Sergeant not a Captain.

The second was that he had been a truck driver in the Army, never an intelligence officer.

And the third secret was that staying in France after the surrender was not an act of courage; he himself had nowhere else to run.

Cole was wanted by the British Army in France for theft, escaping custody, and most seriously, for desertion. He was also wanted by the Police in Britain for a string of offences – embezzlement, dishonesty and theft. He had been in prison for long stretches including sentences for being an habitual criminal.

Cole knew that money was required to assist the work of the Organisation, very large sums of money, to provide travel, food and clothing for the evaders and to assist the families accommodating them. The British Special Operations Executive (SOE), wealthy French citizens, and hundreds of struggling loyal French men and women had donated and collected funds to help support and move the Allied Servicemen south, together with intelligence information about the German military and air force .

Cole had discovered that the role of liaising with the many members of the networks set up to move men and intelligence towards the South had given him access to this very large pool of money.

He had established relationships with women in the North of France to provide himself with lodgings and safety. And he took every opportunity of siphoning off money for entertaining himself and other women.

In early November 1941, in Marseilles he was unmasked as a thief.

Cole was dangerous- very dangerous – for he knew the identity of the members of the Organisation and the many French men and women who supported it and enabled the movement of the “packages” south, and the identity of the people who provided shelter and false papers. In fact he knew the intimate workings of the Organisation known as the “PAT Line

Memorial Pat Line Plaque in Canet at the entry point to the jetée across from the capitainerie
Memorial Pat Line
Plaque in Canet at the entry point to the jetée across from the capitainerie

Following the unmasking of Cole, the Organisation sent to the Zone Interdit, one of their trusted lieutenants, the Australian, known as Andre Mason, to warn the many helpers that Cole was no longer to be trusted and he was to take charge of the “PAT line”.

Cole knew Abbe Pierre Carpentier and his many associates who provided the false papers to cross the border of the Zone Interdit at the Somme, who also collected and disseminated intelligence on the Germans.

He knew the proprietor of the Chop du Pont Neuf, the restaurant in Paris that fed many of the evaders as they moved down the line.

He knew the many couriers who guided the evaders south to Marseilles, Perpignan and the Spanish Border.

And he knew the Australian.

In December 1941, Cole betrayed them all.

Andre Mason, the Australian, was born Kenneth Bruce Dowding in Melbourne Australia and always called Bruce. He had grown up in a peaceful working class suburb of Glenhuntly.

The youngest of 3 brothers, and the idol of his mother’s eye, he was intelligent and engaging, he charmed older women who felt very maternal towards him, and as he grew up he developed the ability to enjoy the company of many people. He was very strong and a good sportsman. He loved music, architecture and the classics; but his passion was to speak French like a Frenchman.

After matriculating from a prestigious Melbourne private school, Wesley College where he had obtained a scholarship to study, he enrolled part time at Melbourne University in French and History and at the same time he took a job as a teacher at his old school.

In 1937, when he was 23, he quietly arranged 12 months leave, to undertake a 3 month French course at the Sorbonne in Paris.

He left Australia in January 1938, travelling by French shipping lines via Noumea , Tahiti and the Panama Canal, to Marseilles, finally arriving in Paris in March 1938.

He quickly established a life for himself in Paris, almost immediately becoming friends with a young Swedish painter and musician Max Bilde and his beautiful sister Ebba Greta.

Varian Fry, Bruce, unknown woman and Francis Blancha in in Marseilles 1941

He had promised his distressed Mother that he would return to Melbourne as soon as he completed the Sorbonne course but in October 1938 he wrote, in his weekly letter to his family, that despite the “war scare” (the signing of the Munich Agreement in September 1938) he wanted to extend his stay in France.

He obtained a position for a year as a house master at the Ecole Normale in Loches, where he was able to receive free board and lodging and at the same time undertake some paying teaching lessons at the local schools in Loches.

For the next 12 months his routine was to travel to Paris each weekend to stay with Max’s mother, Madame Bilde, Max, and Ebba Greta.

In the summer of 1939, his friends returned to Sweden and Bruce obtained some work and accommodation teaching English to families, but his family pressed him in their letters to return to Australia. In his weekly letter to them he wrote about his feelings and said that he felt he had to stay to assist France, the country he had come to love and the French, the people which now meant so much to him.

Bruce in France 1939

By December 1939 Bruce’s weekly letters to his family ceased.

He could speak perfect French and he volunteered to act as an interpreter with the British Service Corp. He was appointed Corporal Dowding S/131722. In May 1940 he was captured near Boulogne and placed in a POW camp at Loiret from where he escaped in August 1940.

He made his way to Marseilles arriving later that year and very quickly established himself a lieutenant to the British officers who were organising escape operations for the thousands of servicemen in the area.

Nancy Wake, also Australian and  prominent figure in the French Resistance wrote in her biography “the White Mouse”  ”………..Australian, Bruce Dowding from Melbourne, joined the organisation. We fell upon each other like a lost brother and sister, and Henry took us out to dinner to celebrate. ….. Bruce was proud of being Australian but he’d acquired the polish of a sophisticated European.

For a time he was in Perpignan in charge of moving evaders to the Spanish border. Later he was based in Marseilles working with Albert Guerisse otherwise known as Pat O’Leary, appointed by SOE to head the PAT Organisation.

Place de la Loge Perpignan

It was to Marseilles in November 1941 that Francois Duprez travelled from La Madeleine to warn the Organisation that Cole had stolen very large sums of money and could not be trusted.

Dowding, O’Leary’s trusted lieutenant and others confronted Cole at the Marseilles apartment of Dr. Rodocanachi, locking Cole in a bathroom whilst they discussed what they should do with him and whether they should kill him.

Cole escaped from the bathroom window and fled Marseilles.

Bruce and O’Leary immediately set out for the North to warn the people in the area that Cole was not to be trusted, indeed might be a traitor.

On the journey, whilst waiting for a train connection at Amiens, Bruce- always the man of culture- insisted on visiting the beautiful ancient Amiens cathedral because it was one of a few major cathedrals he had not previously visited.

When he arrived in the North, under the name of Andre Mason, he set about visiting the members of the Organisation to warn them about Cole and to coordinate activities of the group.

Francois Duprez and his family accommodated Bruce for about a month, he then took a room at Lille and enrolled at Lille University as a law student to obtain a set of identity papers.

There are now many books written after the war, in French and English that record the events that unfolded.

Cole was arrested by the Gestapo on 6 December 1941 and immediately confessed to his role in the Pat Line. He named many of the people that he had worked with in the North.

It was, according to his interrogator, not necessary to use any force on Cole, he just gave name after name and details of the operations. Over the next few weeks Cole took the Gestapo to the houses of the members of the organisation, first in the Lille area and surrounding towns, and later to Paris.

Many arrests of loyal men and women followed. Bruce was himself arrested at Burbure on 8 December 1941 Those arrested included Francois Duprez and Abbe Carpentier.
Over the next few weeks many people in the Zone Interdit and in Paris were betrayed by Cole to his Gestapo masters and all thrown into prison.

Kept in appalling conditions in Lille prison with the others, Abbe Carpentier was finally able to smuggle out a letter to the Organisation denouncing Cole as the traitor.

In April 1942 a Military Tribunal in Lille requested that “a group accused of spying, acting in favour of the enemy and possessing arms and guns be sent to Germany” under the Nacht und Nebel decree of December 1941.

On 8 May 1942 Bruce, Abbe Carpentier , Raphael Aiello, Wladimir De Fligue, Maurice Dechaumant, Madeleine Deram ( Van Houtteghem), Desire Didry, Protais Dubois, Marcel Duhayon, Francois Duprez, Alfred Lanselle, Henri Picot and Eugene Ringeval , were herded onto a railcar with about 60 others and transferred from Lille to St-Gilles prison Brussels .

On 5 August 1942 they were transferred to Bochum in Germany. As Alfred Lanselle later wrote “on 5 August 1942 we were handed to the SS Feldgendarmes at the station of Aix-la-Chapelle. They beat us like plaster and we were not able to get up any more. Surrounded by these thugs for two hours, we waited for the train. They fired guns to make us get in and guns and more dogs to get out. We climbed into the trucks and we were unloaded at night in the prison where they threw us all crammed into cells already filled with people most of whom were sleeping standing up

A “trial” was held in April 1943 in which Madame Deram received a sentence of 5 years, Francois Duprez‘s sentence of death was commuted to life imprisonment. The following were to be executed: Abbe Pierre Carpentier, Désire Didry, Bruce Dowding, Protais Dubois, Marcel Duhayon, and Eugene Ringeval.

At 7pm on the 30 June 1943 at Dortmund prison the beheading commenced.

That night 3 Belgian patriots were also executed Rene Adams, Rene Bouillon and Rene Swaelus.

According to some sources, the prison record stated that the offence of all those decapitated was that “the condemned sheltered in 1940 to 1941 English Soldiers secretly present and encouraged Belgians to enlist in the English Army. Duhayon and Carpentier did moreover, collect important military information”.

Cole spent the war working with the Gestapo in Paris and entered Germany with the retreating Germans. He then swapped sides deceiving the Americans and British in Germany again posing as a British Intelligence Officer and using the surname of “Mason”, the nom de guerre used by Bruce, until he was hunted down by SOE and taken back to Paris.

Cole once again escaped and lived with a woman above Billy’s Bar in Paris. In January 1946 he was questioned by Gendarmes “looking for deserters”. Cole pulled out a pistol and was himself shot dead.

It was not until 1946, after the war had ended, that Bruce’s family ever knew of what had befallen him. Letters came from survivors of the Organisation and from Father Steinhoff, the German Priest who had attended the executions.

Bruce’s mother, who had loved her son so dearly, became ill at the news and died in 1948.

Outside Rue Forbin- The site of the Seamans Mission building in Marseilles

In 1948 the remains of those executed at Dortmund were identified, and Bruce’s remains were moved and reburied in the British War Cemetery at Kleve.

Those executed that night, the 30 June 1943, have been honoured in their own communities.

Bruce Dowding was “Mentioned in Despatches “by the authority of the British King on 9 August 1946

On 12 February 1948 the French Government wrote to the Australian Government trying to locate Bruce’s family and to gain Australian Government approval to “posthumously to confer upon him the Cross of the Chevalier of the Legion of Honour stating that he “had escaped from a prisoner of war camp and entered the Resistance in 1941 and was killed by the Gestapo”. Unfortunately the Australian Government appears never to have replied. His family has asked the French Government to renew the offer of an award.

In 1946 L H Nouveau who had been one of the Organisations significant supporters in Marseilles wrote a book of his experiences “  Des capitaines par milliers “ and dedicated it to three people including Bruce Dowding.

This is written by Peter Dowding, Bruce’s nephew in memory of Bruce and of my father and his family who lost their beloved Bruce and grieved for him for the rest of their lives

But it is also written to honour the millions who struggled and gave their lives for our safety.

Peter Dowding

Fremantle, Western Australia


Après l’effondrement des armées alliées devant les assauts allemands milliers de militaires alliés, perdu et effrayé, tentaient d’échapper à la France. Leurs nombres ont été gonflés par évadés des camps de prisonniers de guerre et des membres d’équipage qui avaient été abattus. Ces milliers tourbillonnaient autour de la foule des réfugiés déplacés.

Au cours des années de guerre, beaucoup d’hommes et de femmes fidèles français a donné à ces personnes un abri et d’assistance.

L’homme lui-même Paul Cole, qui a fait savoir qu’il était le capitaine Paul de British Intelligence, appelant était devenu une partie de l’Organisation qui avait fourni des escortes pour beaucoup de ces militaires de la zone interdite, dans le Nord, dans la Somme en France occupée, à travers Paris à la frontière de la zone libre qui courait le long du Cher et de la Loire où ils ont traversé à la sécurité relative de la France de Vichy et pourraient faire leur chemin à Marseille.

De là, l ‘”Organisation” avait itinéraires pour les déplacer vers la liberté à travers la frontière espagnole à Gibraltar et au-delà.

Cole lui-même et avec l’aide d’autres personnes, y compris un jeune homme Roland Lepers, avait escorté certains de ces fraudeurs, et Cole avait joué un rôle clé dans l’organisation de logement et de l’aide pour eux car ils cachèrent loin de la capture.

Le capitaine Paul Cole avait eu trois sombres secrets.

 Le premier était son nom et son grade: il était Harold pas Paul, et il était un sergent pas un capitaine.

La seconde était qu’il avait été un chauffeur de camion de l’armée, jamais un officier du renseignement.

Et le troisième secret était que rester en France après la cession n’était pas un acte de courage, il avait lui-même nulle part où courir. Il était recherché par l’armée britannique en France pour vol, évasion d’une garde, et plus sérieusement, pour désertion. Il était également recherché par la police en Grande-Bretagne pour une série de délits détournement de fonds, la malhonnêteté et le vol. Il avait été en prison pendant de longues périodes, y compris des peines d’être un repris de justice.

L’argent était nécessaire pour aider l’Organisation, de très grosses sommes d’argent, de fournir des voyages, de la nourriture et des vêtements pour les fraudeurs et à aider les familles qui les accueillent.

Le British Spécial Operations Exécutive (SOE), de riches citoyens français, et des centaines de lutter hommes français loyaux et les femmes avaient donné et collecté des fonds pour aider à soutenir et déplacer les militaires alliées du Sud, ainsi que des informations du renseignement sur l’armée allemande et des forces aériennes.

Cole avait découvert que la liaison avec les réseaux mis en place pour déplacer les hommes et de l’intelligence vers le Sud lui avait donné accès à l’argent prêt, beaucoup d’argent.

Il avait établi des relations avec des femmes dans le Nord de la France de se munir d’hébergement et de sécurité. Et il a toutes les chances de siphonner l’argent pour les femmes et de divertissement.

Au début de Novembre 1941, à Marseille, il a été démasqué comme un voleur.

Cole était dangereux, très dangereux, car il connaissait l’identité des nombreux hommes et femmes qui ont permis le mouvement des “packages” du Sud, les personnes qui ont fourni des abris et de faux papiers français.

En fait, il connaissait les rouages ​​intimes de l’Organisation connu comme le «PAT Line”

Après le dévoilement de Cole, l’Organisation a envoyé à la Zone Interdit, un de leurs fidèles lieutenants, l’Australien, connu sous le nom André Mason, pour avertir les nombreuses aides que Cole n’était plus à faire confiance et à prendre en charge le “PAT ligne “.

Cole connaissait l’abbé Pierre Carpentier et ses nombreux collaborateurs qui ont fourni les faux papiers pour traverser la Somme, à la frontière de la zone Interdit, qui a également recueilli et diffusé des renseignements sur les Allemands.

Il savait que le propriétaire de la côtelette du Pont Neuf, le restaurant à Paris qui a alimenté beaucoup de fraudeurs car ils déplacée vers le bas de la ligne.

Il connaissait les nombreux courriers qui ont guidé les fraudeurs au sud de Marseille, Perpignan et la frontière espagnole.

Et il savait que l’Australien.

En Décembre 1941, le Cole trahi tous.

L’Australien, connu sous le nom André Mason, c’était Bruce Dowding est né Kenneth Bruce Dowding à Melbourne en Australie et a toujours appelé Bruce. Il a grandi dans une banlieue paisible de la classe ouvrière de Glenhuntly.

Le plus jeune des 3 frères, et l’idole de l’œil de sa mère, il était intelligent et attachant, il a charmé les femmes plus âgées qui se sentent très maternelle envers lui, et comme il a grandi, il a développé la capacité à profiter de la compagnie de beaucoup de gens. Il aimait la musique, l’architecture et les classiques, mais sa passion était de parler le français comme un Français.

Après sa scolarité dans une école privée prestigieuse Melbourne, Wesley Collège où il avait obtenu une bourse pour étudier, il s’est inscrit à temps partiel à l’Université de Melbourne, en français et en histoire et en même temps il a pris un poste d’enseignant dans son ancienne école.

En 1937, quand il avait 23 ans, il s’est arrangé tranquillement 12 mois de congé, d’entreprendre à 3 mois de cours français à la Sorbonne à Paris.

Il a quitté l’Australie en Janvier 1938 voyages par les compagnies maritimes françaises via Nouméa, Tahiti et le canal de Panama, à Marseille, pour arriver finalement à Paris en Mars 1938.

Il a rapidement établi une vie pour lui-même à Paris, devenant presque immédiatement d’amitié avec un jeune peintre et musicien suédois Max Bilde et sa belle sœur Ebba Greta.

Il avait promis à sa mère en détresse qu’il reviendrait à Melbourne dès qu’il a complété le parcours Sorbonne mais en Octobre 1938, il écrit dans sa lettre hebdomadaire à sa famille que, malgré la «peur de la guerre” (la signature des accords de Munich en Septembre) il voulait prolonger son séjour en France.

Il a obtenu un poste pour une année en tant que maître de la maison à l’Ecole Normale de Loches, où il était en mesure de recevoir et nourris gratuitement et à entreprendre certains paient des leçons d’enseignement dans les écoles locales à Loches en même temps.

Pour les 12 prochains mois sa routine était de se rendre à Paris chaque week-end pour rester avec la mère de Max, madame Bilde, Max, et Ebba Greta.

À l’été de 1939, ses amis retournés à la Suède et Bruce obtenu un travail et d’hébergement enseignement de l’anglais aux familles, et de sa famille le pressaient dans leurs lettres au sujet de son retour.

Dans sa lettre hebdomadaire à sa famille en Australie, il a écrit à propos de ses sentiments après le guerre a été déclarée et a dit qu’il a senti qu’il devait rester pour aider la France, le pays qu’il avait appris à aimer et les Français, les personnes qui signifiait maintenant tellement de choses à lui.

En Décembre 1939 lettres hebdomadaires de Bruce à sa famille cessé.

Il ne pouvait parler un français parfait et il s’est porté volontaire pour servir d’interprète avec les Britanniques Service Corp. Il a été nommé caporal Dowding S/131722. En mai 1940, il a été capturé près de Boulogne et placé dans un camp de prisonniers à Loiret d’où il s’évade en Août 1940.

Il a fait son chemin à Marseille qui arrivent plus tard cette année et très vite lui-même mis en place un lieutenant pour les officiers britanniques qui étaient les opérations de secours organisation pour les milliers de militaires dans la région.

Pour une fois, il était à Perpignan en charge de déplacer les fraudeurs à la frontière espagnole. Plus tard, il était basé à Marseille travaillent avec Albert Guérisse autrement connu comme Pat O’Leary, nommé par SOE à la tête de l’Organisation PAT.

C’était à Marseille en Novembre 1941 que François Duprez a voyagé de La Madeleine pour avertir l’Organisation que Cole avait volé très grosses sommes d’argent et ne pouvait être digne de confiance.

Bruce, le lieutenant et d’autres de confiance de O’Leary confronté Cole à l’appartement de M. Rodocanachi Marseille, enfermé dans une salle de bain, alors qu’ils ont discuté de ce qu’ils doivent faire avec lui et savoir s’ils devaient le tuer.

Cole s’est échappé de la fenêtre de salle de bains et s’enfuit Marseille.

Bruce et O’Leary immédiatement énoncées dans le Nord pour avertir les gens de la région que Cole était pas digne de confiance, voire peut-être un traître.

Sur le chemin, en attendant un train à Amiens, Bruce-toujours l’homme de la culture a insisté pour visiter la belle cathédrale d’Amiens ancienne car elle était l’une des quelques grandes cathédrales qu’il n’avait pas visités précédemment.

Quand il est arrivé dans le Nord, sous le nom de André Mason, il se mit à visiter les membres de l’organisation pour les avertir et de coordonner les activités.

François Duprez et sa famille logés Bruce pour un mois, il a ensuite pris une chambre à Lille et s’inscrit à l’Université de Lille comme un étudiant en droit d’obtenir un ensemble de papiers d’identité.

Il ya maintenant beaucoup de livres écrits après la guerre, en français et en anglais qui enregistrent les événements qui se sont déroulés.

Cole a été arrêté par la Gestapo le 6 Décembre 1941 et a immédiatement avoué à son rôle dans la ligne Pat. Il a nommé la plupart des gens qu’il avait travaillé dans le Nord.

 Il était, selon son interlocuteur, pas nécessaire d’utiliser la force sur Cole, il a juste donné son nom après nom à ses interrogateurs. Au cours des prochaines semaines Cole a pris la Gestapo pour les maisons des membres de l’organisation, d’abord dans le Lille sont et les villes environnantes, et plus tard à Paris.

Les arrestations d’hommes et de femmes fidèles ont suivi. Bruce a été arrêté à la gare de Burbure le 8 Décembre 1941

Parmi les personnes arrêtées François Duprez et l’abbé Carpentier. Conservé dans des conditions épouvantables en prison Lille avec les autres, l’abbé Carpentier a finalement réussi à faire sortir clandestinement une lettre à l’Organisation dénonçant Cole comme le traître. Au cours des prochaines semaines, de nombreuses personnes dans la Zone Interdit et à Paris ont été trahis par Cole à ses maîtres Gestapo et tous jetés en prison.

En Avril 1942, un tribunal militaire de Lille a demandé que ‘”un groupe accusé d’espionnage, agissant en faveur de l’ennemi et de possession d’armes et de canons être envoyé en Allemagne” sous le décret de Décembre 1941 « Nacht und Nebel » ( Nuit et Brouillade ).

Le 8 mai 1942 Bruce, avec l’abbé Ringeval, Raphaël Aiello, Wladimir De Fligue, Maurice Dechaumant, Madeleine Deram (Van Houtteghem), Désire Didry, Protais Dubois, Marcel Duhayon, François Duprez, Alfred Lanselle, Henri Picot et Eugene, étaient parqués sur un wagon avec environ 60 personnes et transféré de Lille à St-Gilles prison Bruxelles.

Le 5 Août 1942, ils ont été transférés à Bochum en Allemagne. Comme Alfred Lanselle écrira plus tard  “… le 5 Août 1942 nous ont été remis aux Feldgendarmes SS à la gare d’Aix-la-Chapelle. Ils nous ont battus comme plâtre et nous n’avons pas été en mesure de se lever plus. Entouré par ces voyous pendant deux heures, nous avons attendu le train. Ils ont tiré des canons pour nous faire entrer et armes à feu et d’autres chiens de sortir. Nous sommes montés dans les camions et nous avons été déchargé dans la nuit dans la prison où ils ont jeté nous tous entassés dans des cellules déjà remplies de personnes dont la plupart étaient debout dorment up “.

Un «procès» a eu lieu en Avril 1943 à laquelle Mme Deram a reçu une peine de 5 ans, la peine de François Duprez de mort a été commuée en emprisonnement à vie. Les fidèles serviteurs de la France suivants devaient être exécutés: L’abbé Pierre Carpentier, le Désire Didry, Bruce Dowding, Protais Dubois, Marcel Duhayon, et Eugene Ringeval.

À 19 heures, le 30 Juin 1943 à Dortmund prison la décapitation a commencé a commencé:

Cette nuit-3 patriotes belges ont également été exécutés René Adams, René et René Bouillon Swaelus.

Selon certaines sources, le dossier de la prison a déclaré que «le condamné à l’abri en 1940-1941 soldats anglais secrètement présents et les Belges encouragés à s’enrôler dans l’armée anglaise. Duhayon et Carpentier n’ont en outre, de recueillir des renseignements militaire important».

Ce n’est qu’en 1946, après la guerre était finie, que la famille de Bruce jamais su ce qui lui était arrivé. La mère de Bruce, qui avait aimé son fils si cher, est tombée malade à la nouvelles et mourut en 1948.

En 1948, les restes de personnes exécutées ont été identifiés, et les restes de Bruce ont été déplacés et inhumés dans le cimetière de guerre de Clèves.

Parmi les personnes exécutées ont été honorés dans leurs propres communautés.

Bruce Dowding a été «cité à l’ordre” par l’autorité du roi d’Angleterre le 9 Août 1946

Le 12 Février 1948, le gouvernement français a écrit au gouvernement australien d’essayer de localiser la famille de Bruce et d’obtenir l’approbation du gouvernement australien pour “posthume à lui conférer la croix de chevalier de la Légion d’honneur en déclarant qu’il« avait échappé à un prisonnier d’ camp et de guerre est entré dans la Résistance en 1941 et a été tué par la Gestapo “. Malheureusement, le gouvernement australien ne semble jamais avoir répondu.

Cole a passé la guerre de travail avec la Gestapo à Paris et est entré en Allemagne avec les Allemands en retraite. Il a échangé côtés de tromper les Américains et les Britanniques en Allemagne sous le nom de «Mason», le nome de guerre utilisés par Bruce, jusqu’à ce qu’il soit traqué par SOE et ramené à Paris.

Il a de nouveau échappé et a vécu avec une femme au-dessus d’un bar à Paris. En 1946, il a été interrogé par des gendarmes ” à la recherche de déserteurs”. Cole a sorti un pistolet et a été abattu.  

Ce qui est écrit par Peter Dowding, le neveu de Bruce à la mémoire de Bruce et de mon père et sa famille qui ont perdu leur bien-aimé Bruce et peiné pour lui pour le reste de leur vie.

Mais il est aussi écrit pour rendre hommage aux millions de personnes qui ont lutté et donné leur vie pour notre sécurité.

Peter Dowding , Fremantle, Australie Occidentale


  1. I should be delighted to hear direct from any one interested in this story.
    I hope that our book about Bruce dowding will be out next year – the 80th anniversary of his death.
    Thank you for your interest.

  2. Hello,
    I am Christine, the daughter of Roland Lepers in France. We got in contact threw Mr jean Michel Dosiez in the North of France, and did not have any informations at that time about the relations my father and Bruce had during they engagements in the Pat Line. Since, I am certain he did meet Bruce for the first time in November 41 in Marseille, and Roland accompanied Bruce in the north, to present him, after Cole ran away from the Rodocanachi flat the 2 November 1941.This is notified on documents I received
    I just read what you have written about your oncle’s story. I am using some informations, as I am writing, but only for my family, and a few close friends, my own biographie, which includes the story of my parents.

  3. Bonjour,
    Bruce Dowding est titulaire de la médaille de la Résistance française.
    Gestionnaire de cette décoration, je souhaiterais être mis en contact avec un de ses descendants.

  4. Merci de rappeler le courage et l’engagement de Bruce Dowding . Étant moi-même originaire de la région d’Abbeville je me suis beaucoup intéressé à l’ensemble de cette affaire il y a quelques années. Je suis heureux de savoir que la mémoire de Bruce Dowding est toujours honorée depuis l’Australie ! Nous n’oublions pas …
    Quelques photos en relation avec cette histoire dont une de la maison de l’abbé Carpentier ( Bruce était me semble t il dans le jardin en train de s’échapper lorsque la gestapo accompagnée de Paul Cole est venue arrêter le prêtre)

  5. Fascinating and thank you
    May I ask how far on you are with the biography? I ask because I am particularly interested in Pat O’leary/ Guerisse, and would appreciate the opportunity to liaise with you.

    Paul Watkins

  6. Peter,
    J’ai trouvé ton site internet.
    Félicitations et bravo pour ce que tu fais car il ne faudra jamais oublié ce que les nôtres ont fait pour l’humanité.
    Jean Marie Duhayon

  7. Thank you for telling us of one more extraordinnary example of courage.

Leave a Comment