Rain, rain, go away… but until it does…
Most of us would probably cite the weather as one of the foremost reasons for being in the P-O. Consistently averaging over 300 days of sunshine each year, it is one of the driest regions in France.
That said, occasional deluges and the good ol’ Tramontane sometimes drive us indoors, so here’s a list of things to see and do when the sun hasn’t got his hat on.
Do as our ancestors did and seek shelter from the bad weather with a visit to one of the region’s spectacular caves.
- Grottes des Cannelettes, Villefranche de Conflent
- Musée de la Préhistoire, Tautavel
- Grottes de Fontrabiouse, Fontrabiouse
The region is full of fabulous art galleries with collections boasting greats such as Picasso and Dali as well as many other local, national and international artists.
- Musée d’art moderne, Céret
- Musée d’art moderne, Collioure
- Musée d’art Hyacinthe Rigaud, Perpignan
- Collection François Desnoyer, Saint Cyprien
- Galerie Marianne, Argelès sur Mer
The P-O boast a vast range of museums, from prehistoric to natural history and even world music! There’s plenty to keep the whole family occupied for many a rainy (or windy) day.
- MúSIC, Céret
- Musée de la Préhistoire, Tautavel
- And here’s even more museums and galleries to check out in Perpignan…
Theatres, cinema, music
Traditional plays, innovative multimedia productions, music of all varieties, circus, dance and plenty of shows for the kids… there’s always something going on at one of our region’s fabulous theatres.
- Théâtre de l’Archipel, Perpignan
- Théâtre de l’Étang, Saint Estève
- Théâtre des Aspres, Thuir
- Concerts with Alain Marinaro
- Cinema, some in English language or with English subtitles
Monuments / Heritage
Our region is steeped in history. Why not make the most of the bad weather to discover how our lives today have been shaped over the centuries?
- Memorial Camp, Rivesaltes
- Forteresse de Salses, Salses
- Villefranche de Conflent & Fort Liberia
- Palais des Rois de Majorque, Perpignan
- Château Royal, Collioure
- Cathar castles Iwhen the rain stops)
If you think that bad weather puts paid to enjoying nature, think again! In the P-O, you can discover the great outdoors, indoors!
When the weather takes a turn for the worse, it’s the perfect occasion to take some time for you. Relax and unwind in one of the region’s many thermal pools or spas.
- Diet & Nature, Argelès sur Mer
- Sam’s Salon, Cabestany
- Centre Chiropratique, Cabestany
- Dominique Lozano Psychotherapist, Perpignan/Céret
- Gemmessentials, Los Masos
- Les Bains de Saint Thomas, Fontpédrouse
- Bains de Llo, Llo
- Les Flamants Roses, Canet en Roussillon
- Caliceo, Perpignan
Local artisans create a wide range of traditional and innovative products. Take a tour of their workshops to discover the passion and talent that they pour into their trade.
- J&B Stained Glass, Céret
- ESAT les Micocouliers, Sorède
- Glass blowing workshops, Palau del Vidre
- Toiles du Soleil, Saint Laurent de Cerdans
- Création Catalan, Saint Laurent de Cerdans
If there were ever an activity to suit to all weather conditions, this would be it! And boy are we spoilt for choice here in the P-O. We’ve even got a sprinkling of great breweries too! Here’s just a few of our region’s great caves and domaines…
- Domaine Mas Sors, Laroque des Albères
- Mas Cristine, Argelès sur Mer
- La Cave à Féfé, Collioure
- Brasserie du Mouli, Saint Pierre del Forcats
- Terrasous, Thuir
- Cave le Carignan, Laroque des Albères
The Caves Byrrh in Thuir boast the biggest oak barrel in the world. A fascinating guided tour takes you through the station concourse, shows you how the wines are flavoured and fortified to make the aperitifs, passes by evocative old advertising posters and ends with a tasting.
A little retail therapy is the ideal treatment for rainy day blues so why not treat a loved one or yourself?
- Bijouterie Carré d’Or, Argelès sur Mer
- Damaï, Perpignan
- Esperluette, Saint Cyprien
- Fun Bike Centre, Céret
- Logial, le Boulou
- Meubles Alvarez, Pollestres
- La Gaiété du Feu, Perpignan
- Biosud, Céret
- Biocoop la Plantula, Prades
- Gran Jonquera
If you’re forced to stay indoors for weather reasons (or Covid!), you may as well live in comfort and style. Contact one of our region’s many tradespeople and give your space a spruce.
- TPM Piscine Services
- Entreprise Bear
- Ute Liebscher
- VN Elec
- Art & Rénov, Art & Fenêtres, Art & Créations
- Eamonn Fowler
- JPH Constructions
- Morley Renovations
- SARL Plateaux Acryliques
- RB Bois
- Sam Toase
- Shabby Shutters?
- Tibbott Projects
- GF Peinture
- H2 Architect
- Hussell Building
- Philip Gibbs Electrical
We know, we know… it sure aint fun but it has to be done, and better on a grey day than on a sunny one, right?