Brexit doom, gloom and legislation has obliged British residents in France to apply for a carte de séjour but did you know that you must still have a valid passport (or ID card) to travel to any European country other than France?

Here in the P-O, many people head into Spain quite regularly to take advantage of cheaper petrol, alcohol, restaurants etc. Although you do not need a passport to actually cross the border, a carte de séjour will NOT be accepted as proof of identity if you are stopped or questioned by police. Nor will a driving licence.

If your passport is out of date, lost or stolen, you can apply for an emergency travel document HERE. This will cost you a non-refundable 100 euro which you can pay online as part of your application.

It will normally be ready in 2 working days.

IMPORTANT Remember that, your British passport must be valid for more than six months for you to travel around Europe.

Applying for a carte de sejour

Leave a Comment